Home Page

"Blasts From The Past"
By Carmine Macedonio

Our Blast from The Past is Retired Police Officer Lee Thomas Gelderman.
By Retired Detective Carmine Macedonio

            Lee was sworn in during the month of August of 1969. He retired after twenty (20) years of police service in September of 1989. Lee spent his entire law enforcement career in the fighting Fourth Precinct and stated in was a very intriguing and exciting time of his life. He enjoyed police work; it gave him a special chance to help people. Every day was something different, sometimes good and sometimes, not so good. Lee indicated he is very thankful for his career as a Suffolk County Police Officer and is still serving his passion to help people with the Suffolk County Police Alumni Association (SCPAA) as their E-Communications Person.
            Prior to joining the Suffolk County Police Department (SCPD), Lee was employed by Airborne Instruments Laboratories (AIL) a Division of Cutler and Hammer. AIL specialized in the field of electronics and top-secret military projects. AIL is located in Deer Park, Long Island; however, there were other locations across Long Island including office space in several Grumman locations. Lee was classified as one of their Project Planners.
            Prior to this writer joining the SCPD I was also employed by AIL in Deer Park. I worked in their Contract Division and am aware of the top clearance needed on many of those contracts and military projects. I did not know Lee back then; however, I do know of the high intelligence and quality of character needed to work on many of those military projects, especially as a Project Planner. Lee brought that high intelligence and good character to the people of Suffolk County.
            Upon graduating from the SCPD Academy, Lee was assigned to the Fourth Precinct. His first assignment was walking foot in Ronkonkoma. I asked Lee if he ever had a run in with crazy Mary in Ronkonkoma. He told me “No”, but maybe because there were a lot of crazy people in Ronkonkoma. I told him, if you ever met crazy Mary you would never forget her.
            Lee was later assigned to the Fourth Precinct Desk and worked there until he was assigned permanent sector car 414. He then worked the 403 car, 411 car and the last fourteen (14) years in sector car 404. He spent twenty (20) years helping the people of Suffolk County and he is very thankful for his time with the SCPD.
            Lee explains; “there were many good times helping people, protecting them and generally giving them assurances while working in the sector cars. I enjoyed that aspect of law enforcement. However, there was one incident that remains with me, which was not so nice, and it will be something I will never be able to forget. One Sunday afternoon a call came out that someone leaving a bar on Rout 111 in Hauppauge just threw a baby out of the window of their car. I was the first officer to arrive on the scene and found the baby. The baby was “cooked”. We later found out the father was drinking all afternoon in a bar and had left the baby locked in the car.”
            I am sure many of our law enforcement readers will have horrific stories to tell. Stories we all would like to forget but somehow, they stay in the backs of our heads. We all became police officers to try and help, protect and be a positive force with society. However, our job also brings sadness, pain and stories like Lee has just described. With the good there will be bad and we all must learn to bring the good times, the happy times and the times we helped people to the forefront of our memories and place those “not so nice times” to the back.
            On the more positive side Lee had great experiences socializing with his fellow officers while playing softball. He indicated there were exceptional team players and teams from squads 5, 6, 7, and 8. They played many good games and had a great time playing the Hauppauge Fire Department, the Home Box Office and the Smithtown Sheraton Teams. He recalls speaking with the chef of the Sheraton 1 team and advising him to take the police test. The chef passed the test and was required to give Suffolk County an answer. The chef called, Lee told him to accept and if he did not like police work, he could always go back to be a chef. The chef accepted, passed the academy and joined the Riverhead Police Department. The chef just retired after thirty (30) years of law enforcement service.
            Lee would like to thank all the men and women he worked with and alongside while in the Fourth Precinct. He would like to send out a special thank you to Lieutenant William Grollinger who was a very good boss.
            After retirement Lee purchased a golden retriever, went to classes and learned how to show dogs. He and his wife, Elaine, purchased a second golden retriever and traveled with other show breed owners to dog shows throughout New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, New York and Florida. All of Lee’s golden show dogs were “therapy dogs” and along with his wife visited many nursing homes and schools. Lee described how a visit to a nursing home located in Florida with two of his therapy dogs, Kokoma and Morgan was very rewarding. The nurse at the home indicated that a long-time resident was speaking to his dogs. The elderly woman had not spoken any words to anyone in years prior to their visit.
            In 1995 Lee and his wife moved to Florida and they joined the Hernando County Kennel Club (HCKC). Lee worked on their board of directors and helped HCKC get their first AKC license for all breed dog show in Hernando County. They then joined the Monaco Traveler’s motor home club and Lee became a wagon master along with two other club members. They did a lot of traveling to find RV Resorts and Entertainment to run rallies for the club.

In 2005 they purchased a vacation cottage in Tropical Palms RV Resort located in Kissimmee, Florida. Lee became the IT man and oversaw their TV Cable, Internet and Telephone System as well as all their Office Computers. He also assisted on Activities, Entertainment and Dinners for the Resort.
Lee and his wife left Lake Grove, New York in 1995 and they built a home in Spring Hill, Florida. They currently live in sunny Spring Hill and as we mentioned before; Lee is still serving the people around him and is currently the E-Communications Person for the Suffolk County Police Alumni Association.
            Lee has been married to Elaine for fifty-five (55) wonderful years. They have two (2) son’s and four (4) grandchildren. Elaine is a retired RN from Saint Charles Hospital in Port Jefferson and together they enjoy retirement by traveling in their motor home and going on cruise ships.
            Their son James is a retired carpenter from Long Island and is currently living in Tarpon Springs, Florida. His daughter and Lee’s granddaughter Alexandra is attending Mercy College.
            Their son Kenneth is a carpenter and is currently residing on Long Island. His son and Lee’s grandson Kyle stated the following;
“I am a fulltime student at New York Maritime College. I am studying a Bachelor of Science in Marine Environment Science with a minor in Marine Biology, as well as a USCG Unlimited 3rd Maters License. I was able to apply for the scholarship through my grandfather. Lee Gelderman. I want to thank all that were involved in allowing me to be the recipient of this great award.”
            Lee also has two granddaughters from his son Kenneth. Casey who is currently attending Pace University will be followed there by her sister Lindsay in the fall.
            Congratulation Lee on a successful law enforcement career. You helped many people during your service time, and you continue to do so today. Also, congratulations to your wife Elaine for her service as a RN in Saint Charles Hospital. Both you and Elaine have helped many people during your service time and have raised a caring family who will continue to help their communities.

Our Blast from The Past is Retired Detective Peter O’Leary.
By Retired Detective Carmine Macedonio

            Peter O’Leary, a longtime resident of Suffolk County, has had an extraordinary career in both the law enforcement community, as well as, the political arena of Suffolk County. His caring and protective personality for people started flourishing soon after college when he was drafted into the United States Army. He was assigned to the Berlin Brigade in Berlin, Germany. Pete was part of the armed services from February 1966 until his discharge in December of 1967.
His career as a protector and community server was started and his military training laid the foundation for a very credible career in the Suffolk County Police Department (SCPD) and in Suffolk County politics. While Pete was a member of both the SCPD and as a Suffolk County Legislator, he accomplished many achievements and received many awards and special recognitions. He was considered the leader on many Suffolk County Legislative decisions affecting the communities and held the position of President of the Suffolk Detectives Association (SDA) from 1987 until his retirement in 2003. Those accomplishments will be reviewed later during this article.
Peter was sworn into the SCPD on January 8, 1968 and became a member of Suffolk County’s most favorite police academy class. I know this for a fact because I was also a member of that academy class. We conducted all our learning, physical training and marching abilities at the National Guard Armory located in Nesconset. How do I know this was SCPD’s favorite academy class, because, Sergeant DesVerney (an academy instructor) informed us that our marching abilities alone were just out of this world and our class would be remembered for a very long time. “Remember Pete”
Upon graduating from the academy Pete was assigned to the Third Precinct in sector 306 until December of 1972. Pete was then promoted to “Detective” (little did he know his career was about to explode) and was assigned to the Juvenile Aid Bureau. He became the Juvenile Aid Detective in the Third Precinct from January 1973 until July of 1973. He was then assigned to the Fourth Squad Detectives from July of 1973 until January of 1981 when he was re-assigned to the Arson Squad in Yaphank. Peter worked in the Arson Squad until 1987 when a major accomplishment and career change occurred in his law enforcement pursuits. This change would enhance his ability to serve the Suffolk County Detectives and it became a training ground towards his future endeavors in Suffolk County politics. Pete was elected the President of the Suffolk County Detectives Association (SDA) and remained there until his retirement in 2003.
Pete has expressed very strong personal feeling towards the people he worked with in the Third Precinct, Fourth Squad, Juvenile Aid Bureau, and the Arson Squad. There were many enjoyments, great times, many laughs and satisfying memories which he will never forget.  The closeness he obtained towards his fellow brothers/sisters in blue resulted in deep friendships and many of those friendships are still flourishing today.
One of his most satisfying accomplishments, during Pete’s career, occurred in 1993 when as President of the SDA he spearheaded the separation from the PBA bargaining unit. This separation resulted with the SDA becoming its own bargaining unit with the county. He also reported special personal accomplishments while negotiating labor contracts and while being the Co-Chairman of the E.M.H.P.
Some of Pete’s accomplishments which need to be mentioned:

  • Area Vice President of NAPO (National Association of Police Officers)
  • Representing Law Enforcement on Federal Issues in Washington D.C.
  • Pete also received numerous awards, plaques and special recognitions as a Union Labor Representative.
  • He Played and Coached the SCPD Basketball Team
  • He Played and Coached the SCPD Softball Team
  • He was awarded the Irishman of the Year Award by the Emerald Society in 1993

Finally, on August 3, 2003, Pete retired from the SCPD; however, his career serving the people of Suffolk County was not finished. On this date Detective Peter O’Leary was elected to represent the citizens of Shirley/Mastic as a Suffolk County Legislator. He continued his dedicated service in this capacity until January of 2005. While he was a legislator, he served on many county committees. Some of which included, Public Safety, Budget, Ways and Means, and Public Works.
Pete didn’t stop there. Upon completing his two and a half (2 ½) years as a legislator he became the Commissioner of Public Safety for the Township of Brookhaven from August 2008 through March of 2017.
Finally, after serving his country in the U.S. Army, after thirty-five (35) years with the Suffolk County Police Department, two and a half (2 ½) years as a Suffolk County Legislator and serving as the Brookhaven Commissioner of Public Safety for nine and a half (9 ½) years, Pete decided it was really time to retire.
Great Accomplishments Pete. We need more concerning and caring people like you representing our communities and our country today. Your concern and dedication have displayed a true desire to Help the People you were sworn to Protect and Represent, instead of looking out for only your own personal gains.  
Pete wished I mention certain aspects and high points of his long community service, which were especially satisfying to him during his careers:
- He was very proud of his Spearheading and Leading the SDA as its own bargaining unit. Over time that change resulted in many benefits for the SDA. He thoroughly enjoyed all aspects of representing the Suffolk County Detectives.
- The Brothers/Sisters in Blue he worked alongside of in the Third Precinct, Fourth Squad, the Juvenile Department and the Arson Squad are memories he will always be proud of.
- He enjoyed working with the special people of the Suffolk County Legislation and formed many lasting relationships.
- His time as the Brookhaven Commissioner of Public Safety was also very rewarding and his memories and friendships acquired while there will always be cherished.
            Pete in now retired and enjoying a golfing life at the Villages Community in Sunny Florida.
His loving wife, Carol, of forty-six (46) years passed away on March 23, 2015. She and Pete had four lovely children who have all grown up and leading their own family lives. His son Brian is a retired NYPD Detective and is married to his loving wife, Debbie. His daughter, Jenny is a Special Education Teacher and is married to a great guy named, Mike Griffin the son of retired SCPD Detective Ray Griffin. Kevin is the Director of OTB and is married to his loving wife, Elizabeth. His son Peter has a loving wife Aimee and is the Northeast Representative for an International Finance and Human Resource Company.
            Pete has seven (7) grandchildren, which he is very proud of and from the information he has supplied they seem to be following in their grand fathers’ footsteps. Ellen is twenty-one (21) years old and is a senior at Providence College in Rhode Island. Kate is a nineteen (19) year old sophomore attending Loyola in Maryland. Michael is fifteen years old and is in the tenth (10) grade at Westhampton High School. Then there are the twins, Lauren and Lexi, two beautiful eight (8) year old girls in the third (3) grade. We won’t forget eight (8) year old Emma, also very beautiful, who is in the second (2) grade and five (5) year old Colin who is completing kindergarten.
            Pete has a wonderful family and I am sure both he and his deceased wife are very proud of this accomplishment in their lives. The family closeness in their lives and in our lives is truly the foundation for Happiness. Pete and his family should be very proud, and Pete’s family should be very proud of their father/grand-father for being one of Americas and especially Suffolk County’s Super Hero’s.
Congratulations on your career and your retirement Pete, enjoy the Good Life and play a lot of Golf.
Pete may be contacted at 352-259-3529 and his address is 447 Gaskin Lane in The Villages, Florida at zip code 32162. His E-Mail:

Our Blast from The Past is Retired Detective John (Jack) Scott.
By Retired Detective Carmine Macedonio

            First, I would like to express my extreme pleasure of writing short BIO’s of some of the most Extraordinary Heroes of the Suffolk County Police Department. Interviewing these special people and reading the stories of these men and women who dedicated their lives to protecting and serving their communities has been very rewarding. I hope some of the information I put down in writing will trigger thoughts of both your own war stories and appreciation for some of the heroic actions taken by your brothers and sisters in “Blue” (Past and Present).
This month I am proud to give you some insight into the dedication of Retired Detective John (Jack) Scott from the Special Investigations & Rackets Bureau of the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office.

Jack was appointed to the SCPD on April 15, 1968 and his illustrious career in law enforcement was on the way. He was assigned to the Fifth Precinct; however, it was apparent his youthful appearance for undercover work and his investigative abilities led him to be re-assigned to the Narcotic Squad. From there his investigative skills took him to the Seventh Squad (TDY), back to the Narcotics Squad, Organized Crime Unit and finally to the District Attorney’s Office working in the Special Investigations & Rackets Bureau.
Jack wished his thoughts would be mentioned, saying his greatest memories come from working with the dedicated men and women during his twenty years in the SCPD. There are a couple of stories Jack mentioned: first, while he was in the Organized Crime Unit (frontrunner for the Civil Forfeiture Unit), Jack stated; “there was great satisfaction in seizing the assets from those criminals and their ill-gotten gains. You could just see the punishment in their eyes when we seized the contraband. Many of them even cried as we drove away in their vehicles and towed away their boats, not to mention seizing cash and bank accounts”.
Jack was assigned to the county’s first sting operation and he has a funny story to tell there. It was called “Chuck’s Thrift Shop” and was operated in the Lindenhurst area. “There was nearly a day that went by which did not produce some comical event. However, one day the shopkeeper’s Chuck Lohmann and Ralph Zanchelli were negotiating with a suspect on a piece of merchandise which no one, including the suspect, knew what it was”. Jack continued, “while we were in the hidden backroom trying to find out what it was, in the storefront the dialogue about the “thing a ma jigs” value and use had us all in stitches. We did purchase it and found out later it was a new railroad crossing motor”.
Jack told another Thrift Shop story, which turned out to be another great job by the men and women of the SCPD. He went on by saying; “We also had a “serial” new car thief who was flooding the market with new cars to purchase. Seems this suspect had a job “cleaning” newly imported vehicles being stored in a wholesale lot. He would take the key, the new car information kit and go back at night to steal the vehicle. Problem for us was that the wholesaler did not yet realize the cars were gone, therefore no theft report. For us to stop the flow of cars without revealing our sting operation, we set up a controlled “uniform patrol pick-up”. So, myself and Dave Brown “put on the bag”, borrowed a spare marked unit from the Fifth Precinct and proceeded to handle the arrest. At one point, we had to hide from the First Precinct Sergeant who was looking to sign our memo books. The best part was after we rounded up and arrested all our suspects, we simply showed their attorneys the video tapes and they all pled out. Every day was a barrel of laughs dealing with these criminal genius’s”.
While Jack was in the District Attorney’s Office he worked on several long high-profile investigations; however, towards the end of his career he was assigned to the “Smoking Gun Investigations”. There was one case in those final days which brought back some funny memories for Jack. He went on; “One of our own Police Surgeons complained that a house he acquired from the DOT for a road widening project was stolen. He noticed the dwelling being moved (with police escort) down the William Floyd Parkway in Shirley. Seems an elderly man, who had been a caretaker from the previous owner, had decided that the doctor had passed his date for removal of the home and therefore had abandoned it. The house had already been lifted and put up on steel awaiting the site completion by the doctor. The suspect called the house-mover and advised them he had been authorized to move the house. Thus, the move was put into motion which required a police escort. The house had been parked at the doctor’s office which, was nearby the point of interception”.
“Now, the case was assigned to the DA’s squad and wound up on my desk. After interviewing the elderly suspect and his daughter, neither one spoke very good English, I elected to have the suspect respond to our office the next day for processing. The suspect appeared and was arraigned for the “larceny” of the house. Later that day, the media started calling. Most of the DA’s staff had left for the holiday weekend. I was surprised, when advised I needed to don a suit and tie and appear for a press conference in the evening. I delivered the press release on my own in front of no less that ten news media carriers. It must have been a slow news day as the “stolen house caper” received coast to coast news media attention. I got congratulatory calls from family, friends and associate law enforcement as far away as California”.
Well, Jack as every working LEO out there knows, You Never Know What You Are Going to Run into on Your Next Tour of Duty, so, be prepared for anything and everything. Is that not one of the reasons it is the Greatest Job in the World?
Jack retired on April 15, 1988 after twenty years of dedicated police service. However, the blood still flows blue in Jacks veins. The saying, “Once a Cop Always a Cop”, is so true for so many of us but it is especially true about Jack.

Prior to Jack joining the SCPD he was employed as a Firefighter and Rescue Team member at the Brookhaven National Laboratory. He currently lives in Spring Hill, Florida with his loving wife Cindy. Cindy works part time as an office manager in a medical office and full time watching after Jack. Jack has two successful daughters, two successful sons and two successful step-sons. He has fifteen grandchildren.  Jack bragged that if he knew grandchildren were so much fun he would have had them first and the grandchildren are also a very good way to get even with your own kids. He also has a Brother-in-law, Bob Horton who is retired from the Fifth Precinct.
However, this is not then end of the BIO. Everyone who knows Jack, understands he has never really retired. He currently is considered an insurance expert in the field of insurance frauds and federal insurance compliance. He has operated his own business in the insurance field, over-seeing fraud investigations and required federal compliance laws for several large insurance entities across the nation. I know for a fact that Jack has secured arrangements for when he resides in the Precinct up above that there will be a special (F-2) line of communications to several of these companies for them to obtain his advice. Jack has published several articles and guidebooks which, are distributed throughout the insurance fraud organizations.
Jack is also a founding father of the SCPD Alumni Association. He is currently the residing president and has been instrumental for many of the benefits and gatherings for our retired men and women in blue. Jack along with Danny Quinn (another Blast from the Past) volunteered to organize the 1990 retiree’s weekend. From there the alumni took off and Jack wished to give a great thanks to Chick Little, Jim Woods, Roseanne Christie, John Seidler, Wayne Snow, Warren McCue, Gene Novak, Tom Quinlan and their spouses for all their volunteer work and assistance.
 The list of benefits for being a member of the Alumni Association is long and rewarding. Anyone wishing to join or contact the Alumni should call at 1 (352) 345-1778.
Jack indicated he is very proud of his law enforcement career, insurance field expertise and for his dealings with the Alumni Association. In retrospect Jack, we are very proud of your dedication to the SCPD, the communities you served and for the accomplishments you continue to do today.
While listening to all the stories Jack was relating, I could not help but falling back in time and remembering some of my old personal stories. I hope some of you readers out there have as much enjoyment reading Jack’s stories and remembering some of your own war stories. Each one of you know what great rewarding times you had and the not so great times you had to deal with while wearing the blue.
Jack, you are another Hero in my book, have a great retirement and keep up the good work.

Our Blast from The Past is Retired Detective Nicolo (Nick) Titolo.
            Nick “The Italian Stallion” was sworn into the SCPD in July of 1964 and upon graduating from the Police Academy was assigned to the Uniform Division of the Second Precinct. He spent almost four years in the Huntington area before he was assigned to the Second Precinct Plainclothes Division. Nick was right at home in the Second and was following in the steps of his accomplished brother Bob Titolo (Thirty-three years with the SCPD). However, Nick was also making a name for himself and after two years in plainclothes he was promoted to Detective in the Second Squad. Nick was a very energetic and persistent investigator. His personality and good natured heart followed him throughout his career and into his retirement years as well.
A specific story he reminisced concerned a loose horse causing a problem on the roadway. Nick responded and took out his trusty rope and lassoed the horse. Did I mention he has some Cowboy in him? Well, anyway, Nick jumps up on the horse and it takes off with Nick singing Jean Autry songs. Like a good Cowboy Nick gets control of the horse, except for one problem. Nick could not remember where he left the PD. Gentlemen, as you know, we had no radios or any method to contact headquarters for help. However, Nick used his superior ability to find the elements of “the crime” and used that ability to recover his PD.
Nick worked very hard in the Second Squad, his worked was always praised by his superiors and after three years was re-assigned to the Robbery Squad. Nick has a special place in his heart for the Robbery Squad where he developed a special bond with his partner and life-long friend Detective John Tschiember.
One of his first cases, Nick recalls, was on an investigation concerning a very dangerous leader and master mind of an armed robbery team working on the Island and NYC. Nick was very persistent during his investigations with searching for evidence and conducting follow ups. His efforts resulted with shutting down and clearing several armed robberies. Nick indicated the master mind trained his son and a friend on the finer points of committing armed bank robberies. The names will not be mentioned; however, the son and friend were also removed from the crime list. Our current DA Tom Spota prosecuted the case and obtained a conviction. I wonder who the Master Mind is NOW?
While I was interviewing Nick, he was wearing a baseball cap with the Canadian Mounted Police Emblem. I asked how he obtained the hat. Nick displayed a large smile and just stated he became a good friend with a Mounty and they exchanged police emblems. We will not describe the incident because Nick would like to do that himself.  
(See his telephone number in the article and give him a call)

Nick remained in the Robbery Squad for about five years then was re-assigned to the Fighting Fourth Squad where he worked until retiring. Nick would like everyone to know he enjoyed being in law enforcement, enjoyed working as a police officer, and enjoyed working as a detective very much. He loved all aspects of police work no matter where he was. Nick finally retired after twenty-one years in July of 1985. He was an exceptional Police Officer, Detective, Cowboy, Master Mind and an International Diplomat.
Prior to joining the SCPD, Nick served our Great Country in the Armed Services from 1951 through 1953. He was in the U.S. Air Force, assigned to the Air Force Police and worked in the Aleutian Islands. He recalled a story where his outfit was isolated for about seven weeks because of inclement weather. No one could get in or out; however, they did have a movie they could be entertained with. To this day, Nick will be able to give you an almost word for word account of “Alice in Wonderland”. If you don’t believe this author just give Nick a Call.
Hats off to all the men and women who had to sacrifice periods of their lives to safeguard and protect the citizens of our Great Country. My Hat is Off to you Nick. You are another Great Hero of Our Country.

              Prior to joining the SCPD, Nick had an extensive career as an electrician and worked for Hazeltine. Once he retired he decided work was enough and concentrated his time and effort towards his wife and family. His wife, Marie, continued to work for Merrill Lynch another six years and after twenty-one years she also retired to devote herself to Nick and their family. However, Marie, continues to remain very active in the community singing in a 100-person chorus, holds positions in various organizations and enjoys playing golf. Hey Marie did you teach Nick how to sing Gene Autry Songs?
               Nick and Marie will be celebrating their 60th Wedding Anniversary in October. They will be taking their entire family (11 to Saint John’s BVI for a week.  Nick and Marie enjoy traveling and have been on twenty-five or more cruises.
              Nick and Marie would like to mention their son, Richard, who is a Nuclear Health Physicist and their daughter Lisa who is the Founder & CEO of Advanced Women’s Excellence. This organization addresses the challenges and opportunities for women to expand their success. Lisa has been presented with many National Awards.

             Nick and Marie have one granddaughter named Michelle who is a very accomplished Business Analyst. They also have four grandsons; Daniel, who is a Major in the US Air Force and is married to Cassandra an Oceanographer, Gabriel a Senior Risk Management Consultant with Philadelphia Insurance and is getting married to Carolyn, a Pharmacist, in August, Robert who is in sales selling Power to corporations and Austin who is employed by Schneider Electric and has just graduated with a Master’s Degree in International Business.
              Nick and Marie have a Great Family and are enjoying their retirement lives living in Timber Pines, Spring Hill, Florida. Nick may be reached at 352-666-4484, 401-447-3310 or e-mail:
Have a Great Retirement.

Our Blast from The Past is Retired Detective Arthur Eggling.
            Artie was sworn into the SCPD in April of 1963 and upon graduating from the Police Academy was assigned to the Uniform Division of the Fourth Precinct. He spent almost two months walking a beat in Smithtown when he was assigned sector car 405 in Lake Ronkonkoma. (Hey Artie you didn’t even break in your walking shoes.) However, Artie did stay three years in uniform working sector car 405. Then, in 1968 he was assigned to the Fourth Precinct Plainclothes Squad where he found his passion in law enforcement. Artie excelled with his police skills in plainclothes and in 1968 he was assigned to the Fourth Squad as a Detective. (Great Going Artie). Artie reported, he especially enjoyed working as a police officer/detective in the fourth precinct and relishes his time at the Fighting Fourth. He credits all his great memories to the super partners he worked alongside.
            In 1978 Artie was assigned to the Robbery Division where, again he became a well-respected investigator. He spent the remainder of his law enforcement career there and retired in March of 1986. His most memorable times in the Robbery Squad were meeting new friends and working alongside law enforcement brothers and sisters on very exciting and dangerous investigations. He wanted to especially mention working with the FBI and his Police Academy Classmate and Robbery Squad Partner John Lowth. Artie credits receiving great law enforcement knowledge and experience from them.
Artie did not want to dwell into too many of his investigations; however, he wanted me to ask Retired Detective Susie Lenz about the “idiot mask”. Well, Susie we all will be waiting to hear about this one. However, Artie would like to mention one of his greatest experiences was delivering a baby. He places that experience with meeting and working alongside of all the great guys and gals of the SCPD.
Prior to joining the SCPD, Artie served our Great Country in the Armed Services. In December of 1959 he was drafted into the United States Army. Artie spent twenty-seven months giving service to his country and he is especially proud of this part of his life. He went to Korea in October of 1960 and was with the 728 Military Police in Tague. Artie was discharged in February of 1962 as a Corporal Specialist Fourth Class. Point of interest: Artie was only married six months when he was drafted into the Army.
Hats off to all the men and women who had to sacrifice periods of their lives to safeguard and protect the citizens of our Great Country. My Hat is Off to you Artie. You are another Great Hero of Our Country.

Prior to joining the SCPD, Artie also worked a short time at Republic Aviation in Farmingdale, N.Y. as an expeditor. Upon leaving the force, Artie worked with two of the best contractors on Long Island, John Tschimber and John Cutelli. For those of you who do not know these names (which I doubt) these two-great retired detectives also had a fabulist history with the SCPD as well. I know these three men well and I believe they would have some amazing stories to tell. Hope to see all three of you guys at the party after Christmas. Artie would like to send a special “Hello” to another friend and Robbery Squad partner, Dennis Kiernan. Artie loves to fish and says Dennis is the Best Damm Captain he ever sailed with.  Artie also worked a short time as a Security Supervisor for the National Westminster Bank in Huntington. Both Artie and Retired Detective John Newton along with their wives currently operate a home watch business together in the Fort Meyers area.
            Artie lived in New Bern, North Caroline for a short time and is currently living in a gated community in Fort Myers, Florida. His wife (Peggy) was employed by the Shoreham/Wading River School District; however, she is now employed full time trying to put up with Artie. His son Arthur spent seventeen (17) years with the Lee County Sheriff’s Office down here in Florida and retired as a Detective. His daughter Laura is a RN and works at a Surgery Center located in Fort Meyers. Artie has five (5) grandchildren, three (3) boys and (2) girls. His oldest grandson, Ryan, is a graduate of FGSU and is a world ranked Bike Racer. His second to oldest, Travis (T.J.), is attending Edison Community College and is studying in the Medical Field. His youngest, Kyle, just became a Fireman in the Fort Myers area. Ali is his twenty-year-old granddaughter who is attending Florida State University and is currently studying in the field of Medicine. Kira is his sixteen-year-old granddaughter attending Cape Coral High School. Artie has recently acquired two step-grandsons Tyler and Tristan. Both Tyler and Tristan are currently attending Estero High School.
Artie plays a lot of golf and he enjoys fishing very much. Both he and his wife have gone on over forty-five (45) cruises together with the Newtons. Artie would love to hear from you and has given a telephone number of 239-337-2691 where he may be reached. Good luck in the future Artie to both you and your family. It was just great putting this article together with you.
Have a Great Retirement.

Our Blast from The Past is Retired Sergeant Fred Lipsky.
Fred was sworn into the SCPD in January of 1985 and upon graduating from the Police Academy was assigned to the Uniform Division of the Third Precinct. He spent the first eight years in the uniform division and operated sector car 302 located in the Brentwood area. Fred enjoyed working as a police officer no matter where he was. He credits his great memories to all of the super partners he worked alongside of, especially Ken Regensburg. Fred retired from the SCPD in January of 2007 after twenty-two years of service.
Fred was later assigned to the Narcotics Division where he became well respected in the communities he worked. Fred recalls one special occasion when his team was conducting a search warrant for drugs in a suspects’ home. While he was searching areas in the kitchen green smoke started rising up from the sink and filling up the rooms. The team had to scramble out of the home to avoid any consequences from breathing in the green smoke. Fred reports they had many laughs about it later on.
Many of my interviews have a similar story where a strange or dangerous situation occurs to officers while performing their duties. Hopefully they all turn out like Fred’s and we are able to laugh about them later on.
After working in narcotics for about four years Fred made the big times. He passed the Sergeants Test again and moved over to the First Precinct. A little history about the Sergeants list. Fred had passed the previous Sergeants test and died number one. However, the following test he recorded the seventh highest mark and was eventually made a Sergeant. After 6 years in the First Precinct he moved to the Fifth Precinct for a year and a half and the final three years at the Sixth Precinct.
Prior to joining the SCPD Fred was employed by the Baton Rouges City Police Department in Louisiana for three years. He completed their police academy and went directly into their Special Services Rescue Unit. This Unit started a High Rise Recue & Dive Rescue Team. This was a little on the funny side for Fred because he has a fear of heights. However, Fred was very accomplished in Sky Diving and Scuba Diving prior to joining their department. They required an officer with Fred's high qualifications and skills and they received one of the best.
Fred received the Second Highest Medal of the SCPD, the Gold Combat Medal. He relates the story of his having a shootout with a crazed woman in the Bay Shore area. The woman had a shot gun and was shooting up a storm. However, during the OK Corral Blow out, Fred held back his fire due to other law enforcement personnel behind the woman and in the line of fire. Good call Fred and congratulations on your Gold Combat Medal along with your Nineteen Department and Four Command Commendations.
A Blast from The Past
Fred has also accomplished many outstanding achievements during his career as a Law Enforcement Officer as well as during his civilian life. Some of Fred’s accomplishments such as running Marathons on All Seven Continents, being Pictured in Newsday and many other Publications for this accomplishment. Fred represented both the SCPD as well as the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center during his many runs. Fred has also received many awards during his career with the SCPD and from the communities he served and protected. Congratulations Fred on your successful career as a Law Enforcement Hero.
Fred has not slowed down during retirement and has maintained two homes in order to enjoy his retirement life. He lives in Remsenberg on his own nature preserve. He has a beautiful home, out buildings, and a swimming pool which is all located on the water. Fred’s other home is located at Neuvo Arenal in Costa Rica. He spends his winter months there and informs me the beauty is just Out of this World. He has not settled down to just watching nature though, Fred has a Nature Tour Business in Costa Rica which he is offering a large discount to every law enforcement member.
You may contact Fred at, for a Private Customized Adventure and/or Photograph Tour in Costa Rica. Fred is an accomplished Photographer and Surf Caster. He guarantees you will have a lot of fun and a Great Tour.
Fred’s wife Amy, has led an exciting life as well. She has a thriving business supplying Hotels, Restaurants, Casinos and Museums with Specialty Printings. She may be contacted at Mega Media Concepts.
During my visit with Fred he showed me his Fitness Studio in Remsenberg. I could see how Fred stays in good shape and he informed me he has performed some private specialized fitness training for men over fifty years of age.
Fred had a dream, a dream he followed and he never gave up. His success in Law Enforcement and in Civilian Life are all accredited to the fact he followed his dream and he never gave in until he accomplished his Dreams.
Fred informed me at the end of the interview he could write a book just on Retirement alone. I replied, “Go ahead Fred I am sure there would be many retirees who would enjoy your book". I have a feeling we will be hearing from Fred again.
Good Luck Fred with all of your endeavors and remember your Brothers in Blue are all behind you.

Our Blast from The Past is Retired Police Officer Ronald Ruppe.
            Ron was sworn into the SCPD on February 6, 1967 and upon graduating from the Police Academy was assigned to the Uniform Division of the Second Precinct. Ron spent his entire career in the Second Precinct, operating sector car 203 and with Street Crime/Crime Control. Ron enjoyed working in sector 203 very much, saying he had Great Partners working around him which helped make police work enjoyable. He especially enjoyed the work assignments while working Street Crime/Crime Control with Sergeant Lauer along with the other members of the unit.
YES, you are right Ron, when you work with police officers who enjoy working with you, the work becomes a little bit easier and much more enjoyable. I know many of you who worked with Ron will agree, he was intelligent, always had a positive attitude, and a very enjoyable Police Officer to work alongside of.
            Like many of his fellow retired officers, Ron indicated there were never two days alike and you never knew what was going to happen next. The uncertainty of your next assignment or call, along with the helping and protecting people has fueled the excitement of being in law enforcement for centuries. As Ron stated “I have enjoyed every aspect of my career”.
After twenty years of police work you have many memories both good ones and bad one; however, one of the good ones Ron would like to share with us happened during a routine traffic stop. Ron observed a 1957 Chevrolet operating on the roadway with a wired on licensed plate. Ron signaled for the operator to pull his vehicle to the roadside and when Ron approached the driver’s door he observed something strange going on. The driver was attempting to open the door, however, the door appeared to be stuck and the driver was having a very difficult time. Ron decided to help by pulling on the door handle and the door came completely off the car. The driver and Ron both starting laughing. Hey, Ron, did you give him a ticket or a free pass to a garage in Greenlawn?
Prior to joining the greatest job in the world, Ron worked as a car mechanic and as an assistant liquor store manager. In February of 1987 Ron decided to retire from the police department and sell Cadillacs at Mitchell Cadillac in Huntington. I guess he did not want to get to far away from the second. He then opened AAA Discount Tire in Nesconset with business associates. Getting a little further away from the second to the fourth. However, in 1991 Ron made the big jump to Florida and started selling Real Estate where he was very successful buying and selling real estate. After the no-name storm, Ron along with a business associate, purchased a Five (5) Unit Efficiency Motel. He kept the motel for a couple of years before selling the investment. In 1997, along with his son Chris, he opened up Gator Nutrition, a vitamin, supplement, sport nutrition, and health food store in Spring Hill, Florida.  He also had built a 5000 square foot Log Cabin building which contains three (3) other businesses besides Gator Nutrition. Ron and his son bragged a little by saying “After nineteen (19) years Gator Nutrition is still going strong, so, we must be doing something right”.
Ron originally lived in Dix Hills, Long Island prior to moving to Hudson, Florida where he has lived for over twenty-four (24) years. Ron has been married to Maureen for over fifty-one (51) years and informed me she is the Most Wonderful Woman in the Whole Wide World. Maureen was a bookkeeper in New York and also worked as a bookkeeper for ten (10) years at the Bayonet Point Hospital in Hudson, Florida. She now works full time keeping busy with ten (10) grandchildren. Sounds like Wonder Woman to me, you go Maureen. Ron and Maureen have three (3) sons, Michael, Chris and Brian. Michael is a Supervisor at a Medical Concern, Chris is the Owner of Gator Nutrition and Brian is in Management for Disney located in Orlando. Their three (3) sons and families all reside in Florida.
Gator Nutrition is located at 342 Beverly Court, Spring Hill, Florida 34606. They sell the best brands of vitamins and supplements at discounted prices and they ship all over the United States. Their motto is (Prices are Born at Gator Nutrition and Raised Elsewhere). So come on down and visit or call. Ron may be reached at 352-684-2323.
Ron is very proud to announce two (2) really special events happening within his family right now. First, his daughter-in-law, Kristie M. Ruppe is on the August Primary Ballot for Hernando County Judge in Hernando County, Florida. Ron would welcome any backing from his fellow retired officers to support his daughter-in-law. I would also like to submit my recommendations for Kristie as I have met and conferred with her on many occasions. Kristie is a very intelligent attorney and she is very concise in determining every aspect of a situation. I truly believe she would make a very wonderful and competent County Judge. Good Luck Kristie and I am sure you will receive many backers from the Law Enforcement Community especially the retirees living in Hernando County.
The second very important event or events is the fact our own Ron Ruppe has bowled two Perfect Games and is currently carrying an average over two hundred. Those of you who are un-familiar with bowling a Perfect game is the highest score (300) you are able to bowl. His average of over two hundred is also a very impressive feat. Ron indicated his next stop could be the PBA tour. This PBA stands for the Professional Bowlers Association and not the Police Benevolent Association.
You GO Ron and continue having a Great Retirement with Maureen and your family.

Our Blast from the Past is
Retired Det./Sgt. William Taylor

            William (Bill) became a SCPD Police Officer on June 20, 1962. He successfully completed the Police Academy and was assigned to the Second (2nd) Precinct. His first assignment was a Foot Man in the Town of Huntington. Bill indicated he enjoyed being a police officer very much especially his times in both the Tactical Patrol and in the Detective Division. Bill retired on January 17, 1983 with the rank of Detective Sergeant. 
            Prior to joining the SCPD, Bill worked for the Long Island Lighting Company. His time there was also enjoyable; however, the experiences of helping, protecting and servicing the people of Suffolk as a Law Enforcement Officer is incomparable. Bill recalled a very emotional experience during his career which illustrates the special feelings Police Officers encounter during their careers. Bill found himself in the presence of a young child who was chocking. The child had stopped breathing and was becoming very faint. Without thinking, his First Aid Training clicked in and he was able to remove the item from the child throat. The feeling of saving someone’s life is an emotional feeling you will never forget.
            One of Bill’s more light hearted experiences was the time in the Second Precinct. He walked outside and observed a few of the men laughing by a patrol car. It seems someone had filled the inside of a PD with live chickens. There were chickens clucking everywhere.
Well, Bill did not give any more info on the “Who”, “What’s”, and “How’s” of this incident and maybe it should remain that way. However, one of my uncles was a member of the Second Precinct, grew up on a large farm and was very familiar with many of the other farms in the Township. I guess we will never find out “Who” was the culprit of this Funny Incident; however, sometimes a good mystery should remain a good mystery.
            Since Bill retired he has traveled extensively around our great country with his family in a trailer. Bill has lived in Smithtown, New York, New Hampshire, Vermont, and presently in Compost, Florida. He lives there with his beautiful wife, Florence. Bill stated she keeps a great home and has helped raise their grandchildren. One grandchild is a former service member who was in the Tank Division in Afghanistan. Their other grandchildren all have graduated from College and are successful in life.    
            If anyone wishes to contact Bill, please contact The Alumni at 352-345-1778.
            Thank You Bill for all your service and have a Great Retirement.

Our Blast from the Past is
Retired Detective Larry Qualtieri

            Larry became a SCPD Police Officer in October of 1962 and he immediately was assigned to the Juvenile Aid Bureau (JAB). Larry does not recall how long it was but he eventually became a Detective and was assigned to the Fifth Squad. He remained in that command until his retirement in January of 1977.
            Prior to joining the SCPD, Larry spent several years with the New York City Port Authority. He had his most memorable experience while working with their department. An armed subject just held up a Deli in New York City and the entire incident was witnessed by a group of teenagers. The teenagers contacted the police department and informed them they were following the suspect. Larry hearing the call started his pursuit. He eventually caught up with the observing teenagers and while he was securing their safety the armed suspect put a gun to Larry’s head.
            Larry was not too happy about this. I know I would not have been and I am pretty sure there are not too many officers out there who would be. Here is when training comes in, Larry without hesitation pulled out his own revolver and shot the suspect three times. The suspect was not killed; however, I am pretty sure he won’t be trying to pull a gun on any police officers again. Larry received the New York City Bravery Medal for his actions. Good job Larry.
            Prior to joining the Law Enforcement Community Larry was a member of the United States Navy. He served during the Korean War and was assigned to a destroyer named the USS Prichet. It seems Larry has been around some pretty big guns during his careers.
            Larry indicated as far back as he could remember he wanted to be a “COP”. They help people in need and it is very rewarding. They don’t look for fame and recognition because the thankful smiles on people’s faces is reward enough. Right On Larry and I am sure you have helped many people during your Law Enforcement career.
            Larry would like to mention he has three sons, Larry, Carmine, and Vincent. His son Larry has followed in his father’s footsteps and is currently working as a Detective in the Seventh Squad. Larry is also the proud grandfather of five grandchildren whom he misses very much.
            Larry resides at the Freedom Village Health Center located in Bradenton, Florida and may be reached at 941-798-8200 ext.6819.
            Thank You Larry for all your service and have a Great Retirement.

Our Blast from The Past is
Retired Det./Sgt. Mike Mahoney

Mike was sworn into the SCPD on Sept. 20, 1965 and upon graduating the Police Academy was assigned to the Uniform Division of the Fourth Precinct. In 1969 he was assigned to the Police Lab as a Detective (Det.) and in 1972 he was promoted to the position of Sergeant (Sgt.). He returned to the Fourth Precinct where he remained for three years. In 1975 he was assigned to the DA’s Frauds Bureau; however, in 1975 was promoted to Det./Sgt. in the DA’s Rackets Bureau. Mike retired from the SCPD on Feb.6, 1992 which was also his 50th Birthday. Prior to joining the police department Mike worked as a Bartender, Union Laborer and a Chemistry Lab Technician.

Mike indicated there were never two days alike in police work and moving from one command to another command made his entire experience with the SCPD a very enjoyable one. One of the more humorous incidents Mike remembers was when he was a Sergeant in the Fourth Precinct. He was required to perform a Death Notification of a young man who was killed during an MVA. However, a fellow Sergeant who had never performed a Death Notification requested to assist Mike and to perform the notification himself. When the family was approached the Sergeant could only say “Hum-uh, Hum-uh, Hum-uh”. Mike had to intervene and perform the notification himself. Both Mike and the requesting Sergeant have had many laughs over that incident through the years since.

Many times police work would not be as nice as we would like to remember. Mike recalls an incident when he was a Sergeant in the Fourth Precinct and had to respond to a shooting located in the Saint James area. He was the first to arrive at the home and found a wife had been killed by her husband during a domestic argument. Further investigation revealed the husband was an off duty police officer from another police department. Mike knew the off duty and had played many games of basketball with him on the County team. Mike indicated this was a very unpleasant experience for him.

Since Mike retired he has worked as a Real Estate Agent in the Montauk area and has worked with his younger son, Patrick, installing kitchen cabinets for Home Depot. He has also worked with his older son, Michael, building homes on Long Island. However, in 2014 Mike finally retired from “Work” and turned his tool belt over to his grandson Michael. Mike is currently living with his wife Giselle in Manhattan. His wife teaches pilates, studies dance, and keeps him happy. He spends his spare time walking and loves to walk across the bridges of NYC. He has crossed several and is looking forward to walking across many more.

Hey, Mike, remember Walk Across the Bridges and Not Off the Bridges.

Mike would like to mention his first wife of twenty-five years, Maureen, who passed away in 1988 after a ten-year battle with Cancer. He also would like to mention his two sons, Michael and Patrick along with an adopted daughter Dori. Mike has six grandchildren and his granddaughter Juliet presented them with a great granddaughter two years ago. The Great Granddaughter’s name is Ava Cordette.

Continued Good Luck to You and Your Growing Family Mike.